June 26, 2015
Visitors to the Lake District and Cumbria may not know all that much about our home town Barrow In Furness, so here is a brief introduction and guide to what Barrow offers.
Barrow In Furness History
Barrow enjoys an ancient history with evidence of inhabitation in the Neolithic period. A significant finding of Viking artifacts points to Viking occupation with the Old Norse names of the areas including “Barrow” and “Furness”.
Furness Abbey played a key role in the rise of the local industry as Cistercian monks discovered iron ore deposits which they mined and processed. By the 15th century the proceeds from the mining operations and other revenue streams meant that Furness Abbey was the second richest and most powerful Cistercian abbey in England. Over the centuries the town grew into a major industrial player, with a peak in shipbuilding activities during the 2nd World War. Currently major renewable energy initiatives are underway offshore and in 2014 plans were revealed for the Barrow shipyard to construct a number of new submarines.
Barrow In Furness Tourism
Barrow In Furness has been described as the “gateway to the lakes” and “where the lakes meets the sea” placing it perfectly to start your exploration of the Cumbrian Lake District. Barrow offers a host of tourist activities for the whole family:
- Barrow’s Dock Museum tells the history of Barrow and is great for a free family outing.
- Walney Island offers two world renowned nature reserves, South Walney Nature Reserve and North Walney Nature Reserve.
- At the tip of the Furness peninsula, barrow is the perfect spot to enjoy the warm summer at the beach with a number of beaches to choose from.
- For a taste if the history of Barrow visit the ruins of Furness Abbey and Piel Castle, which are both managed by English Heritage
- Experience 1000’s of wild animals at the South Lakes Safari Zoo.
Abbey House Hotel & Gardens enjoys an enviable location on the outskirts of Barrow In Furness and neighbours the famous Furness Abbey. A 4 star Barrow Hotel, Abbey House has undergone a recent refurbishment meaning it is sure to please. Each room offers an exquisitely comfortable bed, flatscreen LCD TV with a range of Sky Sports and Freeview channels, tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary Wifi access.
Check availability now at our 4 star Barrow in Furness at the gateway of the Cumbrian Lake District.